3rd May Sprint

For all things Sprinting & Hillclimbs

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law

Steve C

Re: 3rd May Sprint

Post by Steve C » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Does anyone want to come out and help your Club by marshalling?

Please contact me if you can lend a hand.

Steve C

alanw

Post by alanw » Fri May 01, 2015 9:35 am

Numbers - I can't find my folder of competition numbers! I had a folder full of new numbers from my rallying days. I thought I knew where they were, but they aren't there.

I've found everything else - magnetic door squares, my old overalls, helmet (all still legal), boots, gloves ... Only the numbers are proving elusive.

This means I have to find somewhere to buy some numbers, play around with fonts to print the right size on paper or get creative with tape.

Anybody know where I could buy numbers today/tomorrow, I'm in Maidenhead.

Alternatively, what fonts and size are legal to print my own?

Any assistance appreciated.

Allan Brown

Post by Allan Brown » Fri May 01, 2015 10:44 am

I normally get my numbers from jjc race and rally. But they aren't local. They might be able to deliver next day. The blue book shows size and font. Approx 9" high.
Or if all else fails 2 strips of black insulation tape. But don't tell the timekeeper I said that as some timekeepers don't like insulation tape.
I will have my spare numbers with me if you can't get any in time.

STGTA
Chairman

Post by STGTA » Fri May 01, 2015 11:28 am

What number are you, I can bring some along, 50p each seems to be the going rate.
Simon Taylor - 07966 826 706
Chairman
simontaylor@FDMC.org.uk

Dopdog

Post by Dopdog » Fri May 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Me to I always carry numbers mine are in black and have some white as well, no problem for me if you need some just come and find me.

red fury simon

alanw

Post by alanw » Fri May 01, 2015 7:34 pm

All sorted now. A quick nip in to Raceparts on the way to Oxford produced the numbers. I had to drop in to Humphris anyway to pick up some parts and tyres so killed two birds with one stone.

Great thanks for all the offers of help.

alanw

Post by alanw » Fri May 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Now for some Sprint newbie questions:
- Vehicle passes are mentioned in the Regs, I haven't seen any, should I have?
- What is the normal way to recce the course, on foot, bikes. How much time is there to walk the course, up to the Drivers' Briefing?
- The Regs state that we run in class order. Do we run in number order as well? As car 1 is no longer on the entry list am I the first on track (car 2), in my first ever Sprint? If so, at least I'll be leading for a short while!
- We're double driving, when will my daughter be fitted in, at the end of the class? Not wishing to tempt fate, but what happens if some time is needed between double drivers to work on the car eg a puncture?
- What will be the gap between runs, the whole field? My daughter is revising for A'Levels and she's trying to work out how much revision she can fit in between runs.
- With 60 cars and no issues, any guesstimates as when will the event will end? I'm doing Autosolo demo rides at Donington on Monday so the earlier I can get to bed then so much the better!

Allan Brown

Post by Allan Brown » Fri May 01, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Alan,

-There are no passes, it is because it is a non spectator venue that they are mentioned.
-You can recce by foot or bike just remember it is about a mile long, the earlier you get there and scrutineered the more time you have to get round the course.
Or come down tomorrow about 11:00, we will be setting up the course and you will have lots of time to walk/drive the course.
-We normally run in number order. When you have finished your run just return to the start line, there is an area on the left where you can swap drivers then rejoin the queue. If you have a problem get it fixed then rejoin the queue as soon as you are ready.
-There will be about an hour between runs but that will go by quite quickly.
-We normally finish about 5:00 but it depends on the weather, number of runs we can fit in and how many cars that have to be towed back to the paddock.

Hope that covers it.
We are all very friendly so any questions on the day just ask someone.

Allan

STGTA
Chairman

Post by STGTA » Fri May 01, 2015 8:33 pm

In summary, dont worry. You seem well prepared and it is Club Motorsport so you will be fine.

A pass is not needed, just drive through the gate.
Best to "walk" the course, on foot. It will only take 10-15 minutes I guess. But if walking with others, depends if they dawdle and chatter a lot on the way round.
Yes, car 2 will be expected to lead off, the second driver should be ready near the front of the queue ready for change over. Dont worry and dont rush it. You dont want to trap a finger in a door or anything silly, but like wise, dont waste a load of time. I imagine the 2nd driver will slot in at the end of the class, or there abouts. Basically it is not critical.
If a tyre needs changing, just change it and get back in the queue as and when you can......basically before the last car in the field. Even then tor organisers will be sympathetic and helpful. Especially during the 2 practice runs it is less criticle as the times are not competitive. Overall, you wont have any issues, unless you keep winning events and the others in the class think you are gaining some unfair advantages.
event starts at 9 and is normally finished by 5 ish. It all depends if there are any hold ups and how long each hold up takes to resolve.
She will get a bit of time between runs to relax and also there is a lunch break of about 45-60 minutes.

Why not come along on Saturday at 11am, help the organisers to set up the course (put in a few signs and a bit of sweeping on the corners etc) and then you can walk the course too. We will be there for a couple of hours.
Simon Taylor - 07966 826 706
Chairman
simontaylor@FDMC.org.uk

Allan Brown

Post by Allan Brown » Fri May 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Great minds think a like, eh Simon.

alanw

Post by alanw » Fri May 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks all, I'll try to get down tomorrow. I'll drag my daughter down as well, if I can get her out of bed!

Dopdog

Post by Dopdog » Sat May 02, 2015 9:05 am

Allan Brown wrote:Great minds think a like, eh Simon.

:)

dw

Post by dw » Sat May 02, 2015 11:11 pm

Many thanks to all those who turned up at Rushmoor Arena today to set it up for tomorrow's sprint - it's true that many hands make light work. 21/2 hours and it was all done.

Horney

Post by Horney » Sat May 02, 2015 11:11 pm

Weather is looking a bit grim. Not the best for turning up in one car and that being a 2 seater convertible. I might have to ask if someone can keep my tools etc in their car to keep the dry!

:(
Supercharged MKI MX5 Sprint/Hill Car and Skoda Yeti daily.

Horney

Post by Horney » Sun May 03, 2015 12:13 am

I'm a idiot. In all my prep I completely forgot to fit an oil catch tank. Somehow it fell off my list and I remembered just as I went to go to bed.

Have fun, maybe I'll remember to prep my car properly for the next one.

:-(
Supercharged MKI MX5 Sprint/Hill Car and Skoda Yeti daily.