Newbe with a what car question!

Please read for instructions on how to join the forum as a member

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law

avinall

Newbe with a what car question!

Post by avinall » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Hello,I'm Alan, (Al to most people)... been meaning to join up for a while, so thought Id break the ice. Talking of Ice, I popped along to an autosolo / auto test last year at Deepcut but it was pretty much a foot under snow so thought better and slid away :roll:

Any ways long story sort I want to get into rallying, It’s been a long time coming, since I was a nipper its always been on the cards, but after seeing the Tempest rally a few weeks back Im well and truly hooked!

Now, I don’t have a magic money tree at the bottom of my garden so I’m going to have to start off low budget, plus my skills aren’t quite up to Burns / McRea standards (just yet :P ). Am planning on joining the club within a few weeks (post exams for work) and want to take part in a few autosolos and auto tests throughout the year. Im thinking 12 months of attacking this kind or event will give me a bit of the know how on how to ‘hone’ the ol’ driving skills.

This is the big question though - WHAT CAR?!?! I’ve got a few on the cards and wanted to know what you bunch thought…

Version 1 / 2 classic Impreza sti, always wanted one - but all the people I speak to say that ‘you’ll be up against the big guns in the 4x4 class start off in the 2wd. IMHO weighs quite a bit and a good friend has an extremely well sorted one so I’ll probably get a bit disappointed with any thing which doesn’t have a similar power out put.

Or

Pug 205 gti 1.9 / mi16, loads of them out there, cheap as chips.

Or

Pug 106 GTi, Cheap as chips again, light weight but only a 1.6 but little bit ‘plastic’ if you know what I mean?

4x4 and rwd are more appealing as its some ting I’ve not driven before, but then would that not mean sticking with what I know (fwd) is the bet idea?

Was thinking either a standard road going car I can adapt or an already sorted / project rally mobile (there’s a nice impreza in the rally section down in Cornwall I nearly went to see over the weekend a bit too much tho)

Oh budget… about £2,000

All suggestions welcome!
Current fleet - Impreza RA and a freshly rebuilt 200sx s14a

Avalarf
Location: Now with Lyn in Pensioners Paradise. But would like to be in the Brecon Beacons.

Re: Newbe with a what car question!

Post by Avalarf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 am

Hello Alan, there is a club night next Tuesday go along and have a chat with a few people. You wont be forced to join there and then, but membership goes for a year from whenever you sign up anyway.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ngdom&z=16
Dave.
Avalarf Motor Sport Team, doing it for FUN!

avinall

Post by avinall » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Many thanks for the invite, I'll try to make it but am mega busy with work and exams at the moment, so if I cant come alogn next week I'll pop along post mid December for sure!

Will give you a heads up before if it is the later :)

loggyboy

Post by loggyboy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:56 am

Welcome!

Whats your maintenance budget? Things like scoobys can be money pits to keep them on the road if your on a tight budget.

The advice on starting in a lower class is sound, not only is it disheartening being beaten all the time, but its dangerous as you may push beyond your limits trying to keep up!
I would pick up something like a Pug 106 XSI/Rallye, a Nova/Corsa SRi/Gsi, that way you can aim to spend about £1000-£1500 on the car, and then the remainder on a a few spares or mods.

Do you plan on doing some 12 cars or jumping straight in to stage rallying? (dont forget your license either - http://www.msauk.org
byebye sig

Avalarf
Location: Now with Lyn in Pensioners Paradise. But would like to be in the Brecon Beacons.

Post by Avalarf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:23 am

Suit & helmet as well, lot of expence to go in to rallies from the start. Solos and 12 cars would be a good starting point.
Dave.

avinall

Post by avinall » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:45 pm

I was thinking auto solos and 12 car was a good stating point. The appeal of a 106 gti / rallye seems to be the lastest idea.

Do you need a fully kitted out rally car for the 12 cars or can notmal road cars take place?

I was thinking that jumping in at the deep end and buying a fully kitted car might be getting ahead of my self. But then again it'll be on tap if the oportunity ever arises!

:)

Many thanks for all the info!

loggyboy

Post by loggyboy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:55 pm

12 car just needs to be standard road car.

If you want a good autosolo car, then my clio that I conviently have for sale close to your budget would be perfect! (I got first in class at the summer solo ;) )
byebye sig

avinall

Post by avinall » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Lol I was looking a few months back at 172 cups but then moved onto wanting to go rallying so scoobies were on the cards, and now 106's seem to be pick of the day.

If its the silver on on ebay at the mo I'd have to be honest and say its a tad over my budget and it would seem a shame to strip it out, thats why the cup was on the cards! :) Good luck with the sale tho :P

loggyboy

Post by loggyboy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Yes is on ebay, and is advertised here.

I have another with higher miles and a bit tatty around the edges, I was planning on stripping it myself down to the bare min permitted for solos for next year, but I have kit to finish so that might be up for sale in a few weeks. That one will be under your budget!
Also, dont worry too much about the Cups, they are only 50ish kg lighter and thats no more than taking a big dump before you race!!
byebye sig

avinall

Post by avinall » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello all, just a quick up date! Exams are now over so I now have some spare time on my hands. Also I finally purchased a new car today. - after looking at quite a few snottas, I managed to find a half decent one for 1,500 quid.

Ended up with a Clio 172 cup, needs minor tlc, new exhaust mainly, fog light, a good polish and It should be like a new pin!

I'm getting membership sorted this week and would most likely be heading along to your next club night on .
12th feb. hopefully will have the cup on the road by then!

So if you see me walking around the pub looking lost, just shout at me!

Alan :-)

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Post by Paul Prescott » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Alan,
We'll keep an eye out for you, but the meeting is on the 14th, not the 12th. Good luck with the Clio!
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

avinall

Post by avinall » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi all, to confirm I should still be popping along tomorrow, see you all around 9 pm. Alan

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Post by Paul Prescott » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Alan,
Sorry it was a bit quiet last night. I guess everyone's saving themselves up for the AGM in two weeks. Regs for out March Solo should be available on the web site soon.
All the best with getting the Clio ready.
By the way, are your brake lights working OK on the Skoda? They didn't seem to be doing much last night, but maybe you weren't braking... :oops:
Cheers,
Paul
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

Avalarf

Post by Avalarf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 pm

:wink: It was Valintines night Paul, they were all out for a meal with their other halfs. We were very busy, 5 of us non stop all evening, plus take aways and those eating in :!:
Dave.

avinall

Post by avinall » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Nice to meet you all! I printed off the joining application form today and will get that sorted asap.

As for my brake lights, :? I wouldn't be surprised if they have packed up :roll: , I certaily was braking, I seem to remember a few rounderbouts being in the way and having to slow down! TBH some thing different seems to break every week with the Skoda, its getting a bit long in the tooth. I'll check it out first thing, many thanks for letting me know!

See you all soon hopefully! :D