Feb Fox 12 Car Navigational Rally - Friday 7th February

For all things Rally

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law, Avalarf

Scoobydo

Feb Fox 12 Car Navigational Rally - Friday 7th February

Post by Scoobydo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Entries are still available for our first 12 Car Rally of 2014. Starting from Saxon Way on the Blackbushe Business Park a route of 54miles of Hampshires and Berkshires finest lanes finishing at the White Hart in Eversley. Navigation catering from beginners to experts. Regulations and entry form can be downloaded from the 12 Car Capers website or direct from me at gskeggs49 at gmail.com.
Entries to date in order of receipt are :-
Paul Boxall and Mark Saunders from Cranleigh & Bognor in a MG ZR
Derek Looker and Stuart Harrison from Dolphin in a Peugeot 205
Russell Higgs and Dave Boulton from Farnborough in a Mazda MX5
Adrian and Simon May from Farnborough in another 205
Brett Daniels and Simon Taylor from Farnboroughin a Peugeot 307
John Considine and Glynn Hayward from Basingstoke in yet another 205.

As with most forms of motorsport we could do with a few more marshals. So if you are available and fancy helping out please get in touch with Graham Skeggs on 07721 754168 or on the email address above.
GS - Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, MG ZR 1400 Rally Car and 1968 Gilbern Genie restoration project

Scoobydo

Re: Feb Fox 12 Car Navigational Rally - Friday 7th February

Post by Scoobydo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:43 pm

Update

Richard Pashley (Pash) has offered to navigate for someone OR drive for a beginner navigator and show them the ropes. Richard is a VERY experienced navigator and co-driver.
This is a wonderful offer and needs someone to take this up.
Contact me on the phone number or email address above and I will put you in touch.
Graham
GS - Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, MG ZR 1400 Rally Car and 1968 Gilbern Genie restoration project

Scoobydo

Post by Scoobydo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Update 2

More entries, so the list looks like this:-

Russell Higgs and Dave Boulton from Farnborough in a MX5 - Beginners (their 1st event)
Glen Tufnell and Martinn Street from Basingstoke in a Rover 200 - Beginner (might be their 1st event??)
Brett Daniels and Simon Taylor from Farnboroughin a Peugeot 307 - Novice
Adrian and Simon May from Farnborough in Peugeot 205 - Novice
Jace Shawley and Tim Warburton from Basingstoke in Rover 200 - Novice
Derek Looker and Stuart Harrison from Dolphin in a Peugeot 205 - Novice (Can't believe your still a novice Stuart)
Chris Pratt and Dom Warner from Basingstoke in a Peugeot 205 - Novice
Robert King from Farnborough and Richard Pashley from Guildford in a Peugeot 307 - Expert (Roberts 1st event I think, and with Pash lucky chap)
Paul Boxall and Mark Saunders from Cranleigh & Bognor in a MG ZR - Expert
John Considine and Glynn Hayward from Basingstoke in a Peugeot 205 - Expert

We have sufficient marshals to man all the controls but an extra volunteer could see us putting in a secret or two.

Weather, well that's anyones guess!!! Had to reroute following our trip round on Sunday when we came across a BIG puddle. Organisers tip - bring two spare wheels if you can, and watch out for pot HOLES, some disguised as puddles OUCH!!!!!!

Graham

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 pm

A big thank you to the organisers and marshals of the rally and to Richard for keeping me pointed in the right direction.
Last edited by Rob K on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob King

BillMex

Post by BillMex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Many thanks to everyone who took part in the 2014 Feb Fox either as competitors or officials.

If it was possible to retrospectively re-name an event it would have been more appropriate to call this the Feb Fox Regatta - there was so much water.

Graham and I drove round the original route last Sunday afternoon. At a cost. Graham collected two punctures in a single pot hole while slowly driving around one of many dog walkers who seemed to think it better to walk on the sodden roads than across the impromptu lakes using paths that could not be seen below the water. The rear n/s went flat within minutes of the pot hole so on went the spare. It took around another 30 miles for the front n/s to follow, but follow it did.

Then there was the innocuous looking flood between TC6 and TC7. No rivers, brooks or intended lakes anywhere nearby so not marked as a flood risk on my drive round maps. All seemed OK as Graham slowly entered and accelerated gently to build a bow wave. But three quarters of the way across the bonnet was under water! Well done Graham for great driving as we got through – somehow. So first route diversion with 5 days to go.

Then the heavens opened again. I “borrowed” Sue’s Impreza to put the boards out and do a final route check on Friday afternoon.

Two hours in and I just couldn’t get to TC4. Having helped an elderly (even older than me) lady driver turn around on an island in-between 2 floods I then had to lead her back to the B3349 once she’d decided that home in Ascot via the M4 was a better bet than persevering in her attempt to get to her Osteopath in Grazeley.

At this point I called Graham to say that I thought we may need to cancel the event but I’d look for possible diversions in the hope that we might still go ahead.

No less than another 4 diversions were necessary adding several miles to the intended route. The top 2 crews – Robert and Pash the winners and second placed John and Glynn – did a fantastic job with no fails and just 11 and 18 minutes respectively. Curious that Pash managed to record 2 CBs that had disappeared in the re-routing but there doesn’t seem to be anything in the Regs regarding phantom CBs.

All crews that made it to the pub were declared finishers. Technically, cars 3 and 4 were non-finishers for not appearing at MTC9 – a main time control. However, they together with car 6 who declared themselves as retired at MTC9 having come across the control on route to the pub, have all been given relative places in the Results.

There was some criticism of the navigation at the pub and I accept that it was on the difficult side, made considerably worse by having to deal with 5 diversions only one of which was planned before the day. If anyone needs an explanation or has further comments do let me know.

While the event needed all competitors and officials I’d like to single out a few officials without whom it wouldn’t have happened. Graham Skeggs is a great Meeting Sec to work with – he just gets on and does things! Jan and Wally Holder checked and where necessary corrected my navigation. Admittedly, Jan did question my parentage in respect of one novice handout but she’s forgiven.

Finally, Phil Wood stepped in at the last minute to drive me round as Course Opener in his mighty Audi AWD. Thanks Phil!

The full results and this report can be downloaded as pdf files at http://www.mexson.plus.com/FDMC/FF2014Results.pdf and http://www.mexson.plus.com/FDMC/FF2014Report.pdf respectively.

Meanwhile, the results show the following finishing order:

1 Robert King and Richard Pashley
2 John Considine and Glynn Hayward
3 Paul Boxall and Mark Saunders
4 Chris Pratt and Dom Warner
5 Russell Higgs and Dave Boulton
6 Adrian May and Simon May
7 Derek Looker and Stuart Harrison
8 Brett Daniels and Simon Taylor
- Glen Tufnell and Martin Street (DNF)
- Jace Shawley and Tim Warburton (Did not start)
Bill Mexson