targa rallies

For all things Rally

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law, Avalarf

T-revmotorsport

targa rallies

Post by T-revmotorsport » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:53 am

hi

I have entered chelmsford mc targa rally on 19th, looking to hire, borrow, steal trailer if anyone has one or knows someone would be most great full.

Also just wondered why it's only chelmsford who run this type of event, the entry list is full over 70 with reserve list! Must be room for this type of event locally, !!!

Thanks

alanw

Re: targa rallies

Post by alanw » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:40 am

Venues are the issue. However there was a Targa near Bristol in March which had relatively little physical mileage but apparently was a great event.

There are Targas at other venues but they vary a great deal. There was an event at Throckmorton (Worcester) last year and one is planned for Pembrey later in the year.

In addition Targas run alongside Historic events with tests and regularities eg the Leukaemia and Huntsman.

Even though not running under a Targa permit, the Devil's Tour last weekend had tests, regularities and a shortish road rally, shame my son backed out of navigating for me.

So there are probably more Targa events than you realise, few locally, depending on what "local" means to you. It depends what you want out of an event. The Chelmsford events are great as they're a good thrash on a big airfield and the navigation isn't hard, nothing to plot/interpret. If you want to be competitive, it helps to double enter so you can see half the tests before you drive them (you drive first in the morning, second in the afternoon, or vice versa). Other Targa events have an increased navigational content. Then you could look at Endurance Rallies if you want a good thrash with varying amounts of navigation, each event varies.

T-revmotorsport

Post by T-revmotorsport » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:20 am

Hi

Thanks for that, I tried endurance rallying, ie great bustard and found it was so rough I was not enjoying it, I'm getting old now so every part of my body hurt!!!

Chelmsford next event in April has had permission from MSA to increase entry size from 70 to 85 as they received so many entries!!!!

As it is proving popular just thought it would be great for clubs to go this route, what with other events being cancelled ie bulldog last year I think it was!

Local for me is reading area, so Barton Stacy, abingdon, to name just two are close,

alanw

Post by alanw » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:40 pm

The Bullnose was probably the closest Endurance event. It ran last year mainly based at Arncott, but won't run this year due to Oxford MC being stretched too thin and the loss of the venue due to extended military use.

I thought the Bustard was quite smooth over the last few years - back in 2009 my son and I ripped a chassis rail off our 106 on a regularity on the Bustard, we survived the tests! It was only the tests around Longleat which were rough in some places in 2013. Worthy Farm was superb, I've never overtaken so many cars! It did hurt for the rest of the week.

You're right, Barton Stacey could be a great Targa venue.

STGTA
Chairman

Post by STGTA » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:15 pm

T-revmotorsport wrote:hi

I have entered chelmsford mc targa rally on 19th, looking to hire, borrow, steal trailer if anyone has one or knows someone would be most great full.

Also just wondered why it's only chelmsford who run this type of event, the entry list is full over 70 with reserve list! Must be room for this type of event locally, !!!

Thanks
Got a trailer yet?
Simon Taylor - 07966 826 706
Chairman
simontaylor@FDMC.org.uk