Photo competition

Forum for the Swain Trophy 2010 also for other pictures and competitions

Moderator: Rich

Rich

Photo competition

Post by Rich » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi guys,

Here is the new forum for your photography snaps.

To start it all off we are going to use it for the photography competition. For those of you that missed it, here is what was printed in the magazine this month:

This is just a quick note on how the competition is going to be run on the forum this year.

There is going to be a Photography forum in the social section of the forum, open from the 8th of February. In this section we will have a portion of the forum we can dedicate to just photos.

• The competition will be open for entries from Monday the 8th of February to Sunday the 28th of February.
• Please start a new topic with your one picture you would like for consideration. At the end of the three weeks I will then start a new post that everyone can vote on.
• There will be one vote per member.
• The competition is open to FDMC members, in your post with your picture please include your membership number, as proof of current FDMC membership.
• There is a maximum of one picture per member this year, unlike previous years.
• The picture will have to be motorsport related from the last 12 months. If you include something from an FDMC run event, or member, you might get more votes – it all depends on the public though.
• Voting will be in a new post (I will explain the procedure in the post) starting from Monday the 29nd of February until Sunday the 21th of March. I will create this post and hopefully include a copy of all the pictures in the post.
• It is advisable that you make the pictures you post on the a maximum of 800 pixels wide, so that it will fit without having to scroll across the page. This shouldn’t affect the picture quality, and you can always include a link to a larger image if you so desire.

I will be writing a set of instructions on where to go to get free hosting for pictures, so just follow the links on the site. I will also write clear (hopefully!) instructions on how to put pictures within a forum post.

If anyone feels left out because they are still using a film camera, then don’t be, because any decent camera processing shop will gladly convert your image into a digital image (for a small fee of course).

If you aren’t a member of the forum yet (where have you been – it is where all the cool kids hang out!) then send me an email on r.aldcroft@sky.com with your preferred forum name and your email address, and I will create an account for you.

AdamG
Team Ninja Hairdresser

Re: Photo competition

Post by AdamG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi Rich,

Is any image manipulation allowed? just for tidying up images and fiddling with colour/white balance etc?

Avalarf
Location: Now with Lyn in Pensioners Paradise. But would like to be in the Brecon Beacons.

Post by Avalarf » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:49 pm

AdamG wrote:Hi Rich,

Is any image manipulation allowed? just for tidying up images and fiddling with colour/white balance etc?
So in english that would be, how do I post a photo in the first place :wink:
It's going to to cock up thoses who don't have the internet!
Dave.
Avalarf Motor Sport Team, doing it for FUN!

Thor

Post by Thor » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 am

Now where did I leave those FDMC stickers.Of course its the same ones I used last time as I would not want to waste some more.

For those that dont know,I stripped naked last time and stratigicly placed some FDMC stickers on the top Thor bod.(It was a cold day :oops: )
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday
I look forward to seeing you

Rich

Post by Rich » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 am

AdamG wrote:Hi Rich,

Just to make it clear, how am I going to tell you have manipulated the image, unless it is really silly :P I'm certainly no David Bailey :wink:

The competition is going to be judged on the image, by the users of this forum, so do what you think is right, I would say that only minor ajustments would be fine, as you would any picture, but overlaying several pictures etc would be a big no no.
Avalarf wrote:So in english that would be, how do I post a photo in the first place :wink:
It's going to to cock up thoses who don't have the internet!
Dave, it was a club decision that we would move this to the web as this gets more people than the club nights where the photo competition is held. Also there aren't that many people that don't have access to the net any more. We have had a few people join in the last couple of days as well :wink:

I will be making another post to help newbies on how to post their pictures on the web, hopefully before the end of the day. We do have three weeks of running the competition to get all the pictures onto the site.

Cheers

Rich

loggyboy

Post by loggyboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Might it be advisable to add that you must have taken the picture?? i know its fairly obvious but if isnt stated, some smart arse will just find a great shot on the web!
byebye sig

Rich

Post by Rich » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:57 pm

loggyboy wrote:Might it be advisable to add that you must have taken the picture?? i know its fairly obvious but if isnt stated, some smart arse will just find a great shot on the web!
:oops:

Very good point Dave.

AdamG
Team Ninja Hairdresser

Post by AdamG » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Avalarf wrote: It's going to to cock up thoses who don't have the internet!
I'm sure we can find a few of us that are happy to post up images on others behalf, just to help out the technophobes,
either that or we can post up a step by step guide for those that are a bit new to this, then they know for future reference.

loggyboy

Post by loggyboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Please feel free to send me any pictures, if you only have an original/developed picture, I can scan and host it for you. PM me for my home address.
I dont know about everyone else, but Photobucket and similar sites are blocked for me at work.
For those who have electronic copies,I can host the picture and it would be viewable by all, feel free to email them to me, again PM me for the email address.
byebye sig