New Projects forum

What projects have you going at the moment?

Moderator: Rich

Rich

New Projects forum

Post by Rich » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:10 am

I thought I'd start a forum where you could upload what you have been getting up to over the winter months.

Let's see what you have been getting up to, and what you are planning on doing in the future.

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Re: New Projects forum

Post by Paul Prescott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Rich, It seems as though only current moderators (maybe) can access this area at present.
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:07 am

Hopefully fixed it now.

Sorry guys :oops:

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:31 am

Last July , I bought a 1947 series 3 Wolseley 12/48 --- yeh I know it's an old man's car but hang on , I am old :oops: In the meantime I've had interest in the Wolseley , after advertising it , so started looking around for something to replace it .I found a 1972 Alfa Romeo 2lt GTV 105 series up for sale . Went to look at it (not sold Wolseley yet :shock: ) and bought it :P It's a standard engine but a replica of the American conversion to GTAm --- red of course . No clue how to load pic's on here via my PC pictures folder :roll:

Woodcote,just love that kerb !

Dopdog

Post by Dopdog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:27 pm

I have been busy cutting holes in my fury, extended the exhaust and added an extra silencer box to the rear of the car. rewired the dash then moved the water bottle and tidied the engine bay up. Fitted a flat shifter and power commander extended the flat floor all the way to the rear.
I have just removed the seat and will make a bag seat to fit me in the car nice and snug.

WOW tired now just thinking about doing all that, but will be ready for this new season of sprinting and looking forward to it all ready. :D

I am very young but like Rob am unable to work out how to add pictures to a post :roll:

MattD

Post by MattD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Link photos from photobucket or similar...

with the Img bracket round (highlight the URL & click Img ^^^)
SSC Stylus Integrale Turbo16V
MSA Timekeeper Trainee
FDMC Competition Secretary 2012-15
www.ssc-stylus.co.uk

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:36 am

An update on the ALFA 2lt 105 GTAm replica ------ :!:
A new battery , fan belt (for which I had to remove the battery to get at the alternator)
A set of 15X8 Alloys in gold and R888's (previously the Revolutions had spacers as opposed to the correct off-set) Revolutions still for sale :!:
The next stage was a struggle but all done now ------
New shocks/springs all round plus front ARB
A good clean around all the suspension areas while changing the springs , wire brush etc. Hope to remove all the underseal one day so any rust can be spotted :wink:
However ---- in the meantime there's been a little engine issue , so it won't get on track for a long time :( :(

MattD

Post by MattD » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:28 pm

SSC Stylus Integrale Turbo16V
MSA Timekeeper Trainee
FDMC Competition Secretary 2012-15
www.ssc-stylus.co.uk

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks Matt :D

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Mon May 11, 2015 9:03 am

My little Alfa classic has gone to Ian Ellis in Sussex for it's holidays(engine rebuild) :roll:

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:25 pm

I've collected the GTAm from Mr Ellis on the trailer , a mate helped me strap it on and sort the ramps etc ---- still not able to bend enough for that yet , since my hip had the new ' rodend ' . I struggled to get in and out of it , over the side rollbars but managed to clock up 200 miles of running in since the 20th August. A long time since I've done that , as engines are normally run in on the dyno these days. Quite a drag really , up and down the box at 3 to 4500 revs , making sure there's no constant speed runs of more than half a mile . Another 300 miles then I can pull the head down and change the oil/filter , ready for the next 1000 miles rising to 5500 and 6000 revs near the end. Then I'll get it on a good rolling road somewhere , possibly the guys in Slough who do a lot of historics for the Revival(apparently very good with Dellortos and sensible price) I'll need to put new discs/pads on as soon as I can do the job , they're pretty cut up and don't stop too well without a big press . Hopefully once run in I can take it out for a decent long run for the day .

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:58 am

Completed 515 miles as of yesterday and fitted new discs/pads all round. It should be cold this morning so will be removing the radiator cap and pulling the head nuts down. Having enquired from those who know , it's undo each nut 1.5 turns then pull them to 66ftlbs in diagonal sequence starting from the middle. Handbrake now pulls up after 2 clicks as opposed to the full up in the air stance and actually holds it on a hill , after cleaning up the shoes and lubing the pivots. There's a small patch of welding to do between inner rear wheel arch and the spring turret , around 75mm x 40mm but it'll need cutting out to a bigger hole to make sure there's no more behind it :roll:
Once that's sorted I can change the Vavoline Racing Mineral oil in there to Millers Classic 20w50/mineral , for the next 700 miles or so. Then it'll get Millers NT 20W50(not mineral) , developed just for classics . Hopefully the cams and rings will have settled themselves in by then.
The mot is due in October and then it'll be in the shed for a while if it passes :roll: Off oop North for a holiday :wink:

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Depending on tomorrow's weather I may take the GTAm replica out for a longer run to HERTFORDBRIDGE nr Hartley Wintney HANTS. I've kept off the major roads up to now , as steady cruising isn't the best treatment for running an engine in . It's done 670 miles now and had the head pulled down plus oil/filter change , so a trip of 120 miles there and back should be fine. The owner of the RED LION ANTIQUES at Hertfordbridge is a retired racing driver(Cozzy 500 fame with some success)and contempory of Jerry Marshal. The car park has enough tarmac to park over 100 cars plus a field behind it if really busy and it hosts a classic meet twice a month . This meeting is for MG's but although marque specific all classics are welcome apparently. I visited last year and the antiques shop area has a café attached and do great breakfasts.
NO ENTRY CHARGE :P
open 8-00AM TO 12-00AM

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Well , Stuart and I set off at 7-00am but straight away I could feel the engine wasn't right , but kept going for 5 miles in case it was the damp foggy morning(I'd left it out on the drive ready to go , rather than mess about getting out the shed and across the lawn to the drive-- waking everybody up !!!)
Turned back for home as didn't want to damage the new engine , not yet fully run in with no clue what the issue was. Mis-firing and wouldn't pull under load but could be revved smoothly out of gear. Spent a lot of time Sunday trying everything that came to mind then decided to pack up and try tomorrow(in a better mood)
To cut a long story short , on Monday it turned out to be the earth from the 123 dizzy to chassis. Took the bolt out , scraped off more paint around it then refitted using loads of copper grease. Went off for a 40 mile run and it was 90% better that Sunday. However , it still slightly hesitated so removed the plugs yet again for a clean , thinking it must be a minor thing , probably the bad running fouling the plugs ----- wrong !! Number 4 came apart in my hand as I took it out of the socket. A new set of B7E S plugs bought and fitted ---------------- perfect smooth running again :P

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Fitted a new fuel tank since my last post which was a bit of a faff . New tanks regardless of what's claimed aren't an exact copy of originals. Shape looked the same at first glance but took a lot of shoving to force it into the existing hole and bolting ledge. Then of course it was a standard tank with a filler neck angled towards the outer body panel but mine has the Le Mans type cap fitted just below the rear window --- hence a cutting and flexy pipe job. Anyway it's in now. Started on the front geometry today with intentions of adjusting the castor BUT the top wishbone/adjuster was seized solid. Having spent hours trying to undo the locknuts I decided to remove the complete assembly from the car and sort it out on the bench. Once in the vice it all came apart pretty well and after WD , PETROL and some ZX1 grease , it got cleaned up and now adjusts with fingers only :)
It's back on the car now , adjusted to 3.5 castor and camber to zero for now ------ finish tomorrow , a bath and large whisky beckons :P