September Solo - Sunday 14 September

For all Autotest & Solo information

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law, Paul Prescott

alanw

Re: September Solo - Sunday 14 September

Post by alanw » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm

I really enjoyed the day, but I still didn't manage to wear out my front tyres, and they were shot when I started! I'll have to finish them off at the Oxford solo.

I must admit that I wasn't really on it at first - my daughter's 18th birthday party was Saturday night/Sunday morning, so I was a little ... jaded? This was the reason she wasn't out sharing the car with me as usual.

My first Farnborough event and a couple of observations :
- why did we have to queue to sign on, scrutineer, then go back again to queue to collect paperwork? Couldn't we scrutineer, then sign on and collect paperwork at the same time?
- having numbers on the cones would have helped people with wrong tests - car 24 had three wrong tests in front of us (marshal point 3) making the same mistake each time, but he couldn't be told where he went wrong to correct his error on later runs.

The tests improved during the day as they became a little more open, and my head cleared! I've never looked forward to doing runs so much before, there were so many areas where I could have squeezed out more improvements. I liked having the times displayed at the end of the run as well, just like when my son was racing downhill mountain bikes. Also great to have John in my old Rover running in front of me.

I did really, really enjoy the day, I'll be back for more. Thanks to Peter Manning for screwing up penultimate test and giving me the overall 1400 win. With 126k on the clock the engine could probably do with a rebuild soon!

Kraigy

Post by Kraigy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Erm chaps... Where are all the pictures?

PeteM

Post by PeteM » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Class B is of course the usually domain of the older person so think yourself lucky Paul & Ken were absent! - 0.8/sec is nothing to be proud of when beating an OAP

One thing we look forward to in an FDMC event is open course that are easy to follow (on sight) and great to drive - add to this excellent organisation - we had all of that on Sunday - adding numbers would just add confusion, totally unnecessary on a good FDMC course.

I would like to see the BTRDA run an event for us all to see perfection!! - rather than rely on the clubs to do all the work for their various championships.

Best volunteer to run the next event.

Thanks to Bill & Steve for a great day (our last at Monty)

alanw

Post by alanw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 pm

My kids remind me I'm an OAP every day!

On the numbers front, I must admit that I don't look at them after the course is in my head. I purely raised the numbers as I saw a lot of wrong tests, possibly more than I've seen at other solos. As well as being able to tell drivers exactly where they went wrong, the orientation of the numbers shows which way to go through a gate - there were many going the wrong way through gates in the afternoon between marshal points one and two (the first two on the left looking out from the start).

Surely we should be making it as easy as possible for newcomers to have a good day's motorsport, not make it too hard and not frustrate them by incurring wrong tests. Other clubs use numbers. If it's a Farnborough signature not to have numbers then fair enough, makes no odds to me, I'm just thinking of the newbies.

I just raised two very small points. As I said, I really enjoyed the event and I'll be back for more, if you'll have me.

Ian_T

Post by Ian_T » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Kraigy wrote:Erm chaps... Where are all the pictures?
Coming - honest. I took over 700, and it's been stupidly busy at work, so apologies. Will be posting some up very soon.

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Post by Paul Prescott » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:41 am

Haven't seen any results yet, either. Any competitors received them?
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

Ian_T

Post by Ian_T » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Right - here is the link to the Flickr folder with all the images in. Some are trash, and most need further editing to make them good. If you see anything you like, please let me know the picture number, and I'll process it properly and send you a full res copy.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/iantrevena/KTM95A/

Horney

Post by Horney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:08 pm

They're brilliant, thanks a lot! :)
Supercharged MKI MX5 Sprint/Hill Car and Skoda Yeti daily.

Richard_Sideways

Post by Richard_Sideways » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 am

Does anyone have the link to the on-the-day timing web-page?

*Think* it stays up until the next event overwrites it.

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Post by Paul Prescott » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:31 am

Richard_Sideways wrote:Does anyone have the link to the on-the-day timing web-page?

*Think* it stays up until the next event overwrites it.
It's something like http://ewebnet.something but I can never get it to work for me unless someone shows me...

However, yesterday evening I acquired a pdf of the results and have made them available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Vbhe ... sp=sharing

Please note that these are not the official results from the organiser; I believe we're still waiting for those. (Come on, Bill, you've only got until Saturday to meet the MSA requirement of two weeks!)
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

alanw

Post by alanw » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:15 pm

If my club could be changed to CSMA instead of BTRDA (I guess I ended up with BTRDA as I'm doing the Championship) in the Final Results that would be great, makes it easier for me to claim club points.

I must get one of those 126p Abarths, looked great fun and Historic!

BillMex

Post by BillMex » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Formal results have now been issued to all competitors, PM me if you want a copy.

There are two minor changes to the results announce on the day.

We had very late (on the day) entries one of which took the number of entries in Class D (Clubman) from 3 to 4. This means that I should have awarded a 2nd in class to Mark Nicoll. Apologies Mark, I have an award for you, please let me know when you will next be at an FDMC event so that I can hand it over.

2nd in Class F (Clubman) went to Michael Weeks on the day. It shouldn't have as Michael was competing in the BTRDA Nat B. It seems churlish to ask you to hand it back Michael. It should have gone to Malcolm Rogers. Sorry Malcolm. I do, however, have an award for you, so will you too please let me know when you will next be at an FDMC event so that I can hand it over.
Bill Mexson