HANS for all rallying and much Sprint from Jan16

The forum for all technical queries on anything car related

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law

Jon_H

HANS for all rallying and much Sprint from Jan16

Post by Jon_H » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:06 pm

https://www.msauk.org/MSA-confirms-Moto ... Restraints
Maybe you've all seen this?

Perhaps HANS devices could be a candidate for equipment the club could hire to competitors per event?

Redmist

Re: HANS for all rallying and much Sprint from Jan16

Post by Redmist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 am

It's actually going to cause me personally more problems than the hans itself. Having bought a new helmet last year and not knowing of the msa plans for 2016 , it's a non hans posts helmet so just that one regs change will cost me helmet plus a hans.
Then there's the new full cage regs for any modified car. So in my case it's the Stylus whether in B10 or Sports Libre(it's elligible for both) To do this , even forgetting the cost , will be very difficult on a car with a bonded plus rivetted fibreglass body. I can weld but certainly couldn't do this with fibreglass almost touching the chassis. Unlike Westy's and Caterhams , the body doesn't lift or unbolt off. Then a certificate is required which obviously can't be provided by a diy cage builder.
Then there's the 1B tyre issue which won't affect the Stylus but certainly will affect my new project/Alfa GTAm because before knowing of these msa reg changes , I fitted R888's which are now not allowed in road registered cars.Brand new Tyres and only done 700 running in miles(engine rebuild) The Alfa actually does have a welded in cage already BUT it doesn't have a certificate nor any known manufacturers name tag on it.
So that means I've got two cars neither of which comply. So what can I participate in with either car class wise ??? Now't
To continue in Motorsport would cost thousands and the Stylus has had development costing treble it's worth over the last 16 yrs . Will a scrutineer allow my Alfa in roadgoing class , if not that'll be Motorsport over for me and I'd intended to compete till leaving this earth. Why didn't the msa warn of these huge changes a year or so back ?

Woodcote,just love that kerb !

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 am

Sorry to whinge on about this subject BUT how come us amateur low budget competitors need all this extra protection YET a millionaire racing an ERA or other exotic vintage race car without harness or cage travelling in excess of 160 mph , can kill himself with the MSA's blessing ?????

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Having asked various officials to clarify the regs as they concern my particular situation and had no real answer , today I've emailed Michael Duncan/msa technical and await his reply --- I'm not really very hopeful but can't give up motorsport without a fight .

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:07 pm

No reply from Mr Duncan :roll:

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:20 pm

It's looking like the only track action I'll get will be in the Alfa Classic Trackday at Goodwood in July . The Stylus won't comply with regs in 2016 either so will have to decide what to do with it.
I can at least take the Alfa on the road but will miss competing :cry:

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Michael Duncan has replied today and surfice to say I'll be competing next season :P

Jon_H

Post by Jon_H » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:25 pm

Good news - be interesting to know more

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:00 am

Jon_H wrote:Good news - be interesting to know more
He knows the car because there were issues many years back over rops and fuel test devices. The letter he sent then is copied and sits in my log book in case any scrutineer has issues. I'll be doing the same over this issue now that he's replied to me. His reply says that if my car was accepted as eligible in 2015 in the class entered then it will be eligible in 2016.
That's for the Stylus and the ALFA GTAm replica will be fine in road going class. I dare say some scrutineers at certain venues will raise eyebrows but I will enter our FDMC events then try Goodwood once our own scrutes are happy. Goodwood is my favourite but I'm not totally confident they'll be no issues there with ' some ' scrutes :?
Obviously can't drive both so will enter the Stylus at Rushmoor and Goodwood then the Alfa at Goodwood and Eelmoor. Well that's my plan anyway , we'll see :roll:

DaveW

Post by DaveW » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:25 pm

Actually you can enter both cars - as long as they are in different classes. Hard work (probably not good for the hip) and requires deep pockets but can be done.
Entering both cars in the ACSMC championship next year?

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:50 pm

DaveW wrote:Actually you can enter both cars - as long as they are in different classes. Hard work (probably not good for the hip) and requires deep pockets but can be done.
Entering both cars in the ACSMC championship next year?
I'm not sure championship entry will achieve much , running one car then the other means neither will do enough events to count. Certainly can't run both at the same event , too expensive plus can only trailer one . I can't do three events per car so will have to make up my mind come April which car will be entered at three minimum events :)
Once I've been scruted at Goodwood with or without issues , I'll know what to do.

Redmist

Post by Redmist » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:09 pm

A good day yesterday at Goodwood for me . I arrived being prepared to possibly fail scrutineering but no issues were raised or discussed . A huge relief :)
Practice was 99.2 secs and a little messy , August 2014 being my last sprint at Goodwood . My starts weren't great , the axle hopping about a bit making the tyres grab then release and not really sorted till in the higher gears . Never quite went flat in 5th through Fordwater all day ----- the foot got put down but seemed to lift without instruction from me :oops:
First timed run was 95.6 secs which turned out to be my quickest all day , start still poor and not flat at F. Water though. Second run felt quicker at 96 something but wasn't . Finally , on the last run , we'd waited some time before the pitlane due to oil/water being sorted and I shot off through the gears but selected a wrong-un not far from Madgewick entry , which ended with a 100 sec run .
Having Matt next to me plus the XTR2 , I assumed 3rd in class would be my spot but managed 2nd :D (Seems I was 19th overall)

Next event for me will be 7th May at Goodwood in the Alfa GTAm , it's first ever time on track (not had any track test to feel it out)

NB. The HANS device was very uncomfortable , shoving my head forward and digging into my shoulders . It's the 20 degree which was advised . My new 3 inch shoulder straps harness bought in 2014 don't sit easily within the hans but were advised at the time. Actually putting the device on the helmet wasn't too bad but really tricky finding the second clip , once you've put the first clip on . Also not intuitive to clip them the right angle or direction -- on or off. Having trouble doing it , even with help if available , made me simply leave the damn thing clipped on all day but still needed help passing me the shoulder straps . Had to buy new specs too because the new helmet has a rather small visor opening .

TeamToad

Post by TeamToad » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:19 pm

Got a nice pic of you at the chicane on Saturday, Rob
See my post under Sprints above if you'd like a copy.
Martyn

strikerman

Post by strikerman » Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Picking up the original thread here, I too have now run into problems with tyres. Last year I could not get Toyo 888s in 13 inch size so had to settle for Yoko 048s; 2015 ran OK but the Yokos are definately inferior to the Toyo. At Race Retro I was assured by the same supplier that the 048s would be acceptable this year but was advised otherwise at Gurston last month, the 048 is List 1c because they fail the EU Noise Test (with twin weber induction and 99dB exhaust, THAT makes a real difference) whilst the 888 and the Avon retain their 1b status. Anyway I ran the event and intend to continue as the tyres are barely worn but I am NOT going to shell out for new tyres as I am selling the Striker this year.
On another MSA topic, I have just got back from Oz and was invited to attend a scrutineering event for a national rally (an article will be forwarded) and guess what - they have compulsory nomex balaclavas rather than fireproof helmet linings and a 10 year "life" on the helmet, subject to damage of course. So here we are paying out each year cos the MSA cannot gets it act together and then making spurious decisions made for the benefit of suppliers rather than common sense (when your helmet lining is on fire its all a bit academic but a balaclava affords that protection).
Personally I think club motorsport will effectively be uneconomic very soon, glad I was able to enjoy it while it lasted.