A debate about skippy's bits

The forum for all technical queries on anything car related

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law

Thor

Re: A debate about skippy's bits

Post by Thor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 pm

After much disscusion with MSA Tecnical bods,ACSMC Eligability bod and several others who have helped(vodafone love me at the mo) the decision has been made

5 forward
1 reverse
2 rotors
250 bhp
108 db
1 engine in car already
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday
I look forward to seeing you

Carl S
Site Admin

Post by Carl S » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 pm

It's groundhog day for the noise testers then...
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak...

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:20 am

Why would that be Carl. There has never been an issue as the rx never failed noise test even on a drive by as disscussed before.
The only places where some competitors and msa bods have queeried it have been at FDMC events not Debden,Lydden,Brands in fact any other event I have been to. The noise limit for S&L is 108db in the bible and the Rx was always 104. I seem to recall my car going straight through noise test at Rushmoor yet Rogers Metro failed. But the moaners and groaners all day long said mine was to loud even testing it 3 times during the day.
Next I will be accused that I have a special whatsamicalit on the exhaust that I can alter just before and after my timed run.
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday

Wee Beastie

Post by Wee Beastie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 am

It's groundhog day for the noise testers then...
skippy wrote:Why would that be Carl. There has never been an issue as the rx never failed noise test even on a drive by as disscussed before.
The only places where some competitors and msa bods have queeried it have been at FDMC events not Debden,Lydden,Brands in fact any other event I have been to. The noise limit for S&L is 108db in the bible and the Rx was always 104. I seem to recall my car going straight through noise test at Rushmoor yet Rogers Metro failed. But the moaners and groaners all day long said mine was to loud even testing it 3 times during the day.
Next I will be accused that I have a special whatsamicalit on the exhaust that I can alter just before and after my timed run.
Noise problem, what noise problem :?
At least he's not having to do much special in order for it go quicker round a few cones :!: :wink:
My car is as noisy, but I'd like to think no-one moans about my noise level :evil: ....or maybe they do :?
If noise is an issue for some, then buy some ear-defenders :!:

Carl S
Site Admin

Post by Carl S » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:10 am

...cast the line far out and reel him in :lol: :lol:

You allways bite on that one mate [LUV]

Nice to see the Westfield owners rushing to each others defence [Toast]
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak...

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm

LOL if I was really biting you wouldnt hear about it on the forum
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday

Wee Beastie

Post by Wee Beastie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:34 pm

skippy wrote:LOL if I was really biting you wouldnt hear about it on the forum
You wouldn't hear anything due to the noise of very large hairdryers :wink: :-)) :-))

Carl S
Site Admin

Post by Carl S » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:52 pm

So going back on topic for a moment, Is the engine & box from your old Red RX7 or a different one?
It sounds like a good idea as I guess it gives you a much lower centre of gravity than a four cylinder engine, are they lighter as well?
which capacity class does it put you in?

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Its the same engine and box as thats all that was left of the RX. I was seriously considering a "normal" engine but the peeps who were interested in my engine changed their minds and I have to much cash invested in it to leave it lying around.
As for classes well there is 2.
Obviously sports and leftovers and also Road going kit cars over 1700(?)cc
Yet to decide whice one is best for me. They both have there plusess and minusess(sp)
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday

Carl S
Site Admin

Post by Carl S » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Speaking from experience of competing in the road going kit-cars for three years in the Elise, it's effectively a ceiling-less class for power and engine size.
I was allways happy when I managed to get close to the V8's or the big power westies. The Elise had a 200kg weight dissadvantage over them.
The advantage is that there allways seemed to be a lot less in the class than in the under 1700 class so sometimes you can get a class win by default ;)
I allways suspected the V8's could have benefited from slicks to put all that power down, which aren't allowed in road going. (Watching Simon in his car wheelspinning for half the straight at Eeelmoor for example)

With a nice light rotary you could make a few surprises :) [Toast]

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 pm

I will have to be letting it all hang out to beat simon and andy. If I do then thats all well and good, if I dont then I will have to try harder.
By the way I am getting same suspension and brakes as Mr Silman and I think Simon runs the same if not its similar.
They will def get me on torque but I am hoping that I can make up the diff in acceleration once it gets moving. Only time will tell.
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday

Carl S
Site Admin

Post by Carl S » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Go for it, I reckon you'd have all the ingredients the big engined cars lack in that class so it'll be very interesting to see who wins [+]

Thor

Post by Thor » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Hoping to have it out at Eelmoor at end if the year. It might be the best fun I will have with my clothes on :D

My engine in place Image
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday

Wee Beastie

Post by Wee Beastie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:13 am

Simon has the same suspension, courtesy of Siltech, as is mine [Grin]
If you want a good set-up when you're done, then Aurok, where I go, are very good. They're based near Petersfield [+]
Dennis & Andy tried to do mine originally, but the scales they're using were giving inconsistent results [Thinking]

I take it you're running carbs :?: Any thoughts about injection at a later date :?:

Found out yesterday that the workshop going I'm to be renting out won't be available 'till mid-April :-E
Tried working in me garage Saturday, gave up at about 2pm, having had to move out of the way at least 3 times :-E
Now getting very p****d off [BANG]

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:35 pm

I am staying on a carb. It is the big 51mm IDA feeding the itsy bitsy 1308cc engine :twisted:
I am going to stay on carb as the power gains and mapping gains on injection will be minimal as these babies as you know live at 9000rpm.
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday