What do you do with new slick tyres?

The forum for all technical queries on anything car related

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law

BenNorfolk

What do you do with new slick tyres?

Post by BenNorfolk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:13 am

I will shortly have in my possession some super sticky sprint slicks from stick McSticky stick stick land...

Many people recommend scrubbing them in by (on the first fit) gradually working them harder until near limit, then stop & leave them for a few days to rest.

What does anyone else do? Light them up big style before the first practice run & go for it? :mrgreen:

Thoughts appreciated
Because Thunder always follows Lightning! Kerchow!

Thor

Re: What do you do with new slick tyres?

Post by Thor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:10 am

Just rev the bollocks of your engine whilst traveling in reverse then slam it in 1st and drop clutch and rev bollocks out of said engine again. Go back to area on road and pick up scrap metal. [Grin]

Seriously...I have no idea..All my slicks have been second hand and about 100 years old. Just gratefull to have some rubber on the road. Which reminds me, NEVER NEVER trust rubber. Thats why I have 2 children :shock:
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday
I look forward to seeing you

Wee Beastie

Post by Wee Beastie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:21 am

BenNorfolk wrote:I will shortly have in my possession some super sticky sprint slicks from stick McSticky stick stick land...

Many people recommend scrubbing them in by (on the first fit) gradually working them harder until near limit, then stop & leave them for a few days to rest.

What does anyone else do? Light them up big style before the first practice run & go for it? :mrgreen:
Thoughts appreciated
Ask 10 different opinions, you'll get 10 differnent answers :? This is my suggestion, which worked for me :D
Are they new or old. :? Avons or Hoosiers :?: :?
If new, you really would need to put a heat cycle through them. This gets rid of the releasing agent from the compound, when moulded.
This can be done either by the first run you do with them or finding a large enough oven (or tyre warmers) and just heating them up for a short period. A few minutes would do, and I suppose 60-70 C. My Avons took up to 3 to 4 events before they give really good grip :D The hottest they've ever got is 55 C in mid-summer, after a 40sec Hillclimb [Grin]

If old, then by yourself a Surform Plane (a longish one). Surform the compound (not the sidewall), this will get rid of the marbles & hardened surface rubber, and expose good compound underneath. Do this with new tyres, too, after a few events. Then repeat after every event, or every other event, or whatever you feel you need :D

Some events allow tyre warming, others don't. Check your event regs

Hope this helps.

Ian [Grin] [Rock]

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:36 pm

Does anyone use 'Grip'?

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Post by Paul Prescott » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:39 pm

If you loan them to me, I'll run them in at a Solo for you... I'll just draw some tread pattern on them with a felt tip and cross out the NOT (for highway use). :lol:
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

Wee Beastie

Post by Wee Beastie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Rich wrote:Does anyone use 'Grip'?
Used it years back on my first set of slicks (2nd hand). Works a treat, but only for one event :evil:
If you plan to use it, make sure you are at least 5 miles from your house, as it smells worse than creasote, and it lingers for days :-E
It's also very messy :evil:

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Is GRIP still allowed?
Wee Beastie wrote:
Rich wrote:Does anyone use 'Grip'?
Used it years back on my first set of slicks (2nd hand). Works a treat, but only for one event :evil:
If you plan to use it, make sure you are at least 5 miles from your house, as it smells worse than creasote, and it lingers for days :-E
It's also very messy :evil:
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday
I look forward to seeing you

BenNorfolk

Post by BenNorfolk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 am

Wow...

Lots of opinion - interesting paradox in that we shouldn't trust rubber, but we need to trust it in order to keep our money to allow us to buy new rubber....

Maybe its because you put Grip on your rubber that you no longer trust it ?!

aaaaaanyhoo - They are brand spankers Hoosiers - I have a bijoux (sp?) track day the week before Dimanche so I shall put them through a gradual heat cycle there. I hope I have a big enough fuel tank to get some sort of temp in them...!

Nice one chaps, see you in the paddock picking bits out of my tyres & generally being over protective about the new bits on Sophie... :)
Because Thunder always follows Lightning! Kerchow!

rutthenut

Post by rutthenut » Fri May 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Wee Beastie wrote:If old, then buy yourself a Surform Plane (a longish one). Surform the compound (not the sidewall), this will get rid of the marbles & hardened surface rubber, and expose good compound underneath. Do this with new tyres, too, after a few events. Then repeat after every event, or every other event, or whatever you feel you need :D
Hadn't heard of that approach, but it makes sense when you see how messed up the tread surface gets with marbles. Then again, I no longer race on slicks so it doesn't matter to me any more :-o

Cheers
John Rutter, aka Rut The Nut (on Twitter as @RutTheNut)
Stratos replica owner, builder, racer. BMW 325 co-driver. Now Manta rally car owner and driver too.
See http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrutter and Flickr

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Post by Paul Prescott » Fri May 01, 2009 5:11 pm

I think WB has got some shares in Hoosier and Avon... :shock: :mrgreen:
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

Wee Beastie

Post by Wee Beastie » Fri May 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Paul Prescott wrote:I think WB has got some shares in Hoosier and Avon... :shock: :mrgreen:
There's nothing wrong with good rubber :roll: :oops: