Spigot rings?

The forum for all technical queries on anything car related

Moderators: Rich, Grizzly-Law

Carl S
Site Admin

Spigot rings?

Post by Carl S » Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Does anyone run aftermarket alloys without spigot rings (the centre bore reducers that centre the wheel onto the hub) relying just on the studs to hold the wheel on?
The web (as usual) has as many people saying you can as those saying you can't, all with varying levels of "doom" if you don't. But do they really take the weight of the wheel or are they just to centre the thing when you put the wheel...?
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak...

Thor

Re: Spigot rings?

Post by Thor » Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I have never once used them as they add to the weight of the car. I am not joking either.
A couple of years ago at Rushmoor I smacked the curb while going proper sideways and apart from a wrecked rear wheel and a busted whell bearing everything was ok
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday
I look forward to seeing you

Paul Prescott
Site Admin

Post by Paul Prescott » Sun May 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Never seen them... For all my alloys (and I have about 20), they slide over the wheel nuts, and either the taper-seated nuts or parallel sleeved nuts hold them in place. Never had a problem, if the right nuts are used. Are these spigot things something modern, then? :? :?:
PFP
14 Auris TS 1.6vvt, 08 Corsa CDTi SXI, 87 Mini Mayfair, several "remains"

Thor

Post by Thor » Sun May 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Just run without them. If your wheels fall off the car will fall no further than ground level and we will all laugh our tits off :D
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday

Carl S
Site Admin

Post by Carl S » Sun May 10, 2009 11:31 pm

Thor the Thundergod wrote:Just run without them. If your wheels fall off the car will fall no further than ground level and we will all laugh our tits off :D
...thanks :roll:
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak...

Thor

Post by Thor » Mon May 11, 2009 6:27 am

This man uses em
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday

kartaphilos

Post by kartaphilos » Mon May 11, 2009 9:16 pm

They're not on my car but have considered putting them on just in case I get fatique of a stud (now that could be a totally different thread!). They'd have to be the correct fit to be effective, too loose a fit and they wouldn't do anything.

loggyboy

Post by loggyboy » Tue May 12, 2009 10:23 am

Ive pretty much always run wheels with correct sized centre bores, so not needed them. I remember Adam had some for his rocco many years ago and they were brittle plastic and just kept breaking so I didnt see the point in them!
byebye sig

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue May 12, 2009 11:21 am

In all the alloys I have had on my cars, I have never run with spiggot rings, and I have never seen a problem of fatigue. My car is now the better part of 21 years old, and the original alloys were replaced 15-18 years ago, so it has been running without them for a long time, and I haven't had a problem with bearings or stud failure ( :shock: ). I am not the hardest driver, but the car itself certainly hasn't seen an easy life, and all is fine.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The only issue is when the centre bore is too small like going from MX-5's to CRX's... Removing the excess metal in a wheel really is quite scary to me. That must take away some of the wheel strenghth!

Rootes

Post by Rootes » Tue May 12, 2009 5:06 pm

if you use sleeve nuts then spigot rings are a good idea, can;t see the point when using taper nuts/holes

Rootes

Post by Rootes » Tue May 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Rich wrote:
Removing the excess metal in a wheel really is quite scary to me. That must take away some of the wheel strenghth!
did that on some mini wheels so that they cleared the hubs on the fron of an imp... worked fine

loggyboy

Post by loggyboy » Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Rich wrote:The only issue is when the centre bore is too small like going from MX-5's to CRX's... Removing the excess metal in a wheel really is quite scary to me. That must take away some of the wheel strenghth!
Thats nothing more than the manufacturers would do, aftermarket ones anyway. They use one or 2 moulds then drill the holes for studs and trim the bores, then machine the faces to the correct offset. Aslong as its done evenly, its only a small percetage of metal afterall!
byebye sig

Carl S
Site Admin

Post by Carl S » Wed May 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Rootes wrote:if you use sleeve nuts then spigot rings are a good idea, can;t see the point when using taper nuts/holes
What is a sleeve nut? I just use normal wheel nuts with tapered edges which I guess help centre the wheel.

Thor

Post by Thor » Wed May 13, 2009 11:07 pm

A "sleeve nut" keeps your cuff firmly closed around your wrist [Chop]
Bulldog Cafe
197a North Lane
Aldershot
GU12 4SY
7am-2pm Monday to Friday
8am-2pm Saturday